Many thanks to Chef Instructors Jenna Hartman-Fox, Jason Osborne, and Ron Westrom, along with the students of the Charlotte Technical College Culinary Arts Program for creating and preparing this recipe! This is an updated version of a perennial favorite recipe of Worden Farm members.
Yield: 2 Quart
4 TBSP Olive Oil
½ TBSP Ginger, Fresh, Minced
½ TBSP Garlic, Fresh Minced
1 ea Worden Farm Jalapeno, Fresh, Minced
1 Cup Mirepoix, small dice
4 Cups (Packed) Worden Farm Bitter Greens (like Dandelion, Escarole, Broccoli Raab…)
1 TBSP Curry Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
2 Tsp Paprika
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Chipotle powder
1 Quart Vegetable Stock
1 Cup Worden Farm Butternut or Acorn Squash, Peeled, Diced and Roasted
1 Cup Coconut Milk
½ each Lime, Juice, Fresh
1 ½ Tsp. Sugar, Brown
To taste Salt & pepper
2 TBSP Worden Farm Cilantro, Chopped
- Prepare all ingredients.
- In a soup pot heat Olive Oil; add Mirepoix, Garlic, Jalapeno and Ginger. Cook 1 Minute. Bitter Greens, cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add Spices to the vegetables and cook 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Begin to season the soup.
- Add Coconut milk. Bring to a simmer for 3 Minutes; Add Remaining Ingredients.
- Season the soup with Lime Juice and Brown Sugar. You want a nice balance of Sweet & Sour, Salty, Savory and Bitter from the greens. Balance Balance Balance.