This recipe uses organic Florida avocado, jalapeño, and limes. Florida avocados have a milder flavor compared to the smaller Haas avocados.
Preparation Time: 20-25 minutes
Serving Size: 4-6 cups
- 1-2 large Florida avocados
- You may also use Haas avocados but they’re much smaller so you will need 6 of them to replace the two Florida avocados.
- 2-3 jalapenos diced (destem, leave all seeds and white membranes for maximum heat or remove all seeds and membranes for mildest heat)
- 1 cup diced onion or scallion (1 medium to large onion)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves and stems chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Kosher salt to taste
- Remove the stem from the jalapeno and dice the jalapenos per your desired heat level; place in a small bowl.
- Leave all the seeds and internal white membrane for maximum heat.
- Remove all the seeds and membranes for mildest heat or…
- Medium heat is somewhere in between.
- Dice onion; add to the bowl with the jalapenos.
- Wash and dry limes; cut one lime in half, squeeze the juice into the bowl with the onions and jalapenos.
Tip: Doing the above steps will help to moderate the sharpness of the red onion and jalapeno.
- Wash, rinse and spin dry cilantro leaves and stems, chop; set aside.
- Slice the avocados in half and around the internal pit, open the halved avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out the avocado flesh into a flat mixing bowl.
- Mash the avocado using a potato masher until you get small pea size chunks.
- Add the lemon juice, jalapenos, red onion, and cilantro.
- Mash once again until the mixture becomes creamy.
- Season to taste with kosher salt.
- Place into an airtight container, cover with plastic wrap and press the plastic wrap onto the guacamole. (This will keep the guacamole from oxidizing which will cause the surface to turn brown.)
- Store in the fridge until your ready to serve.
- When ready to serve spoon into small serving bowls and add more as it is consumed. Putting all of the guacamole into a large serving bowl will expose it to air turning the surface brown. It will also cause the guacamole to warm up.
- Serve with your favorite sliced vegetables or chips.