We love the combination of kale and beets. The sweetness of the kale with the earthiness of the beets creates a delicious balance. This recipe uses raw shredded beets and also the beet greens, plus some celery for crunch and pecans for a great finish. The vinaigrette is an updated tangerine and balsamic version of a classic honey mustard dressing.
- 1 bunch of green kale washed, de-stemmed and torn into bite size pieces
- 4-5 medium beets washed, peeled and shredded
- 1 bunch beet greens, washed, dried and sliced in a medium chiffonade (stack leaves on top of each other and roll; then slice crosswise in strips)
- 7 stalks of fresh celery, washed and diced in small pieces
- Candied or raw pecans
Tangerine Balsamic Vinaigrette
Whisk ingredients together or shake in a mason jar with lid.
- 1/2 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 T of balsamic vinegar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 tsp. thinly sliced scallions
Place prepared kale in a bowl and gently massage with a small amount of vinaigrette.
Add celery, beet greens, and shredded beets. Toss gently together, mixing the ingredients.
Dress with additional vinaigrette and top with candied or raw pecans.
Many thanks to farm member Keri DeHart for this recipe.
3 thoughts on “Kale and Beet Salad with Tangerine Balsamic Vinaigrette”
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love the picture, the salad looks so bright and colorful. It will really motivate me to eat more kale!
Thank you! Glad that you like it!
omg that looks good