Here’s a classic recipe for vegetable stock with tomatoes. Try other mild-flavored vegetables, too.
Yield: 2 quart
- 1 oz Vegetable oil
- 12 oz Onions, Diced
- 6oz Celery, Diced
- 6 oz Carrots, Diced
- 6 oz Mushrooms
- 6 oz Garlic, whole cloves
- 12 oz Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ea Sachet d Epice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 Qts Water
- Heat the oil in a large rondeau over med-high heat and add the Mirepoix and vegetables.
- Cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and salt; simmer for 15 minutes, then add the sachet.
- Strain the stock. It may be used now (degrease by skimming if necessary), or it may be rapidly cooled and stored for later use.
Note: Roasted Vegetable Stock:
Roast the vegetables in a large pan, turning to make sure all sides are evenly browned. Combine the roasted vegetables with the water and simmer for 45 minutes.
Many thanks to Chef Instructor Jason Osborne, and the students of the Charlotte Technical College Culinary Arts Program, for creating and preparing this recipe!