Cold, rainy weather = time for warm soup!
This recipe makes a delicious and hearty bisque, using lots of eggplant, which we are harvesting in abundance now, in anticipation of an expected frost. The red bok choy and endive give it lots of flavor and bonus healthy nutrients.
Yield 3 Quarts
- 1 ea Onion, Yellow, Julienne
- ¼ Cup Garlic, Minced
- 3 oz Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup White Wine
- 3# Diced Tomatoes, Canned in Juice
- 2 Qt Chicken Stock/Vegetable Stock
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp White Pepper
- 8 oz Roux/ made with olive oil if preferred
- 3 Cups Heavy Cream or Coconut Milk
- ½ Cup Worden Farm Herbs, fresh minced, assorted
- 4 cups Worden Farm Eggplant, Peeled, Diced & Roasted
- 4 Cups Worden Farm Red Boy Choy Chiffonade and Sautéed
- 4 Cups Worden Farm Endive or Escarole, Chiffonade and Sautéed
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Add Tomato Paste and cook an additional two minutes
- De-Glaze with white wine, cook 2 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring often.
- Puree utill very smooth, add roux and puree smooth, about 4-5 minutes
- Return to heat and simmer 10-15 minutes. Strain through a china cap.
- Add cream, herbs, Eggplant, Bok Choy & Endive or Escarole. Simmer 1 minute and adjust seasoning and consistency if necessary.
Many thanks to Chef Instructor Jason Osborne, and the students of the Charlotte Technical College Culinary Arts Program, for creating and preparing this recipe!