Many thanks to Chef Instructors Ron Westrom and Jason Osborne and the students of the Charlotte Technical College Culinary Arts Program for creating and preparing this recipe!
Yield: 2 Quart
- 4 TBSP Olive Oil
- ½ TBSP Ginger, Fresh, Minced
- ½ TBSP Garlic, Fresh Minced
- 1 ea Jalapeno, Fresh, Minced
- ½ Cup Onions, Fresh Minced
- 1 Cup White Turnip, with leafs, Small dice
- 2 Cups (Packed) Amara Spicy Kale, Fresh, Large Dice
- 1 Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Tumeric
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Quart Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 2 oz Roux
- 1 Cup Butternut Squash, Peeled, Diced and Roasted
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- ½ each Lime, Juice, Fresh
- 1 ½ Tsp. Sugar, Brown
- 1 Tsp. Fish Sauce (optional)
- To taste Salt & pepper
- 2 TBSP Cilantro, Chopped
- Prepare all ingredients.
- In a soup pot heat Olive Oil; add Onions, Garlic, Jalapeno and Ginger. Cook 1 Minute. Add Turnips, Turnip tops and Kale, cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add Spices to the vegetables and cook 3 minutes on low heat.
- Add stock and simmer for 30 minutes. Begin to season the soup.
- Add Roux and whisk until smooth. Add Heavy Cream and Coconut milk. Bring to a simmer for 10 Minutes; Add Remaining Ingredients.
- Season the soup with Lime Juice, Fish sauce and Brown Sugar. You want a nice balance of Sweet & Sour, Salty, Savory and Bitter from the greens. Balance Balance Balance.