Did you know that beet greens are not only edible, they are delicious and very healthy? Saute them briefly in a little extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper, dress them in your favorite vinaigrette; we have a couple favorites, tarragon, and orange muscat champagne vinaigrettes to name two. Add some Greek feta for even more tang!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Beet greens from 1 (or 2) bunches of beets.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove sliced (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tbsp orange muscat champagne vinegar or tarragon vinegar
- 1/4 cup Greek feta crumbles
- Remove the beet greens from the beets, wash very, very well, as they will most likely be sandy, remove and discard any discolored leaves or stems, cut remaining leaves and stems into 2 to 3 inch segments; set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan on medium high heat, wait a minute or two for the pan to heat up, add the olive oil, wait another minute, add the garlic slices (optional), add the beet greens, a pinch or two of kosher salt, and a couple turns of a black pepper mill, stir to mix well, cover, cook for 2 minutes, remove the cover and allow any water on the bottom of the pan to evaporate, stir, cook for 2 more minutes.
- When you no longer see any steam coming from the pan and you begin to hear sizzling your beet greens are almost done.
- Add the vinegar, stir to mix well.
- Spoon onto a serving platter, sprinkle with Greek feta crumbles.