Green beans with stewed tomatoes is a staple on most Southern tables. In this recipe, we change it up a bit and add one of our Scotch bonnet peppers (whole) to the pot for a few minutes to give it more flavor and just a tad bit of heat. (Don’t worry, we remove it just before we add the tatsoi to finish the dish.) Scotch bonnets are very popular in Caribbean cooking and add really nice floral notes to any dish.
We also add tatsoi right at the end so it is just wilted. Tatsoi is an Asian brassica green that has a very light mustard flavor to it. It has a very delicate texture, therefore great in salads, stir-frys, and as a finishing green in soups or stews. It is high in Vitamins C, A, and B9 (Folate), as well as Calcium, Potassium, and fiber.
After you’ve made this dish with tatsoi, try using our arugula, mizuna, or mixed baby greens in it the next time you make it!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yield: (8) 1 cup servings
- 1 1/2 lbs of fresh green beans
- 1 quart of canned stewed (diced) tomatoes
- 6 lightly packed cups of fresh tatsoi
- 1 Scotch bonnet whole and uncut (for flavor and a little heat)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (1/2 large yellow onion)
- You may also use our red or white globe onions with their greens. The flavor of the final dish will be slightly different but still very delicious!)
- 2 garlic cloves minced (or more; your preference)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash, drain, and trim the green beans, slice into 1-2 inch long segments; set aside.
- Remove and discard any discolored tatsoi leaves, wash really well, spin dry; set aside.
- Peel and dice the onion; set aside.
- Peel and mince the garlic; set aside.
- Leave the Scotch bonnet whole; set aside.
- Note: It should not break apart with its short spell in the stewing veggies. However, if you want the added heat then, by all means, chop it up and add it to the pot;
- Place a medium sized soup pot on a burner set at medium-high, wait a minute or two to let the pot heat up, add the olive oil, wait another minute, add the onions, stir and cook for 1 minute or until translucent, add the garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stewed diced tomatoes and dried oregano, stir, cook for 10 minutes, add the green beans, stir, add the Scotch bonnet, stir occasionally being careful not to rupture the Scotch bonnet, cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the Scotch bonnet pepper (or not), add the tatsoi, lightly press the leaves down into the stewing veggies, cook for 2 minutes.
- Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Your green beans with stewed diced tomatoes, tatsoi, and Scotch bonnet pepper is ready!