Raw, fresh radishes regularly brighten up salads and crudité platters but here is a different kind of radish recipe from Rob, one of our CSA members. Rob does like radishes raw, but he loves them most when they are baked! We serve it here with a roasted scallion and garlic vegan aioli. They are both so quick and easy to make, and delicious! Thank you, Rob, for this recipe, and for being such a supportive member of Worden Farm!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes (30 for baked radishes; 5 for roasted scallions and garlic)
Serves: 4 as a side dish
- 1 bunch French breakfast radishes (or round red radishes)
- 1 scallion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup of your favorite mayonnaise (vegan here)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Make the aioli (can be made a day or two in advance)
- Preheat the oven to broil
- Place 1 cup of mayonnaise in a small serving bowl or plastic storage bowl (if making ahead).
- Wash the scallion, cut off and discard the root tip and any discolored leaves, cut in half, place on a small baking tray; set aside.
- Peel garlic clove, slice in half if large, place on the tray with the scallion and garlic, sprinkle both with salt and black pepper, drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil over the scallion and garlic, place in the oven preheated to broil, broil until just charred.
- Remove, cool, chop the scallions and garlic, add to bowl with mayo, stir, season with salt and black pepper if desired; store covered in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place a rack on the second from the bottom level.
- Wash the radishes well, cut off leaves and root, dry, place in baking dish, sprinkle with salt and black pepper, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil, cover with foil; set aside.
- Place the baking dish into the preheated oven (350F) and onto the second from the bottom level, bake for 30 minutes, remove, place the baked radishes onto a serving tray. May be served warm or cold.
- Rob’s baked radishes is ready! Serve with the roasted scallion and garlic aioli!