A mixture of fresh vegetables and well-balanced vinaigrette is key to this recipe. Many thanks to Chef Instructor Ron Westrom and the students in the Charlotte Technical College Culinary Arts Program for creating and preparing this delicious vegetable slaw for Worden Farm members.
Yield: (2) ½ cup portions
1 Cup Worden Farm Organic Cabbage, Sliced Thinly
1 Cup Worden Farm Organic Kale, Sliced Thinly
1 Each Worden Farm Organic Leeks, Sliced Thinly
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
As needed Orange Sesame Vinaigrette (Recipe Follows)
To Taste Salt & Pepper
1. In a salad bowl toss Vegetables, Sugar, and Salt.
2. Transfer to a colander and allow to stand and drain for 45 minutes.
3. Lightly rinse and pat dry with a towel.
4. Transfer to mixing bowl, toss with orange sesame vinaigrette to lightly coat.
5. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Orange Sesame Vinaigrette
2 cups Orange Juice, Freshly Squeezed
1 each Orange zest
½ oz Ginger, Fresh, Minced Fine
1 TBSP Sesame Seeds, White, Toasted
½ Cup Sweet Chili Sauce
1/3 cup Rice Vinegar
¼ cup Sesame Oil
¼ cup Honey
To taste Salt & Pepper
Method: Reduce orange juice, ginger and zest by ½ it original volume. Place in a Small bowl. Slowly whisk in chili sauce, honey, vinegar, Sesame Seeds and salt & pepper. Whisk in Oil to emulsify.