Delicious food traditions are held in the hearts and memories of many in our midst. “Tatyana” works in the gardening department at a hardware store. She originally is from Russia; she and her family moved to the U.S. many years ago. Gleaned from a casual conversation with this lovely lady, we gratefully share her recipe for borscht, using our beets and cabbage that are now in season. The only change to her recipe is that we’ve made this soup vegan. Tatyana, if you should happen to read this, THANK YOU! Your borscht is DELICIOUS!!!
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 6 cups green cabbage large dice (about 1 medium cabbage)
- 4 cups yellow potatoes 3/4 inch to 1 inch cubes unpeeled
- 4 cups grated beets (peeled)
- 4 cups grated carrots (peeled)
- 2 cups yellow onion, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 1 plus 1 qts vegetable stock (2 qts total but keep them separate)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar (to taste)
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash the cabbage, remove and discard any discolored outer leaves, slice the head in half, remove the core, cut into large dice about 1 to 2 inches square; set aside.
- Wash and scrub the yellow potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch to 1 inch cubes, place in soup pot, add 1 qt of veggie stock; set aside.
- Cut off and discard the leaf stem and root of the beets, peel, wash, grate, set aside.
- Cut off and discard the leaf stem of the carrots, peel, wash, grate, set aside.
- Peel the onions, cut into 1/2 inch dice; set aside.
- Peel the garlic, mince; set aside.
- Wash and drain the parsley, mince; set aside.
Note: Cook the beets, carrots, onions and parsley, and cabbage and potatoes in separate pots and at the same time. Use a bigger pot for the cabbage and potatoes as you will be adding the beets and carrots mixture later.
Beets and carrots:
- Place a large skillet or soup pot on a burner set to medium-high, after a minute or two to heat up the pot, add the olive oil, wait another minute or two to let the oil heat up, add the onions, stir, cook until just caramelized, add the garlic, continue cooking until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the grated beets and carrots, mix well, cook for 5 minutes, add the parsley, stir, cook for another 5 minutes, add 1 qt of veggie stock, a pinch or two of salt, and a couple of twists of a black pepper mill, stir, cook for 5 more minutes.
Cabbage and potatoes:
- Add the cabbage, potatoes, 1 qt of veggie stock, a pinch or two of salt, a couple of twists of a black pepper mill, and bay leaves to a large soup pot, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pot with the beets and carrots into the pot with the cabbage and potatoes, add the red wine vinegar, stir, cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning
- Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- You may also want to a little more red wine vinegar if you like a more acidic borscht.
- Your Tatyana’s Borscht is ready to serve!