When you know you want to eat your greens, but you also want comfort food…
Grits and greens casserole makes for an anytime satisfying meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snack. Side dish or entree. Hot, room temperature, or cold. Always great, and easy to make. Try it!
- 3 ¼ cups of rice milk or whole milk
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill organic corn grits
- 2T refined coconut oil or butter, divided
- 2 ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound fresh greens, (Turnip greens, Kale, collards etc..)
- 1 small bunch French radishes
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir together milk and grits and cook over medium high whisking regularly until milk has been completely absorbed and thickened, about 25-40 minutes. Once done stir in 1 ½ tea. salt and 1T of coconut oil/butter. Remove from heat.
- Remove thick stems from greens and radish tops and slice in 1 -1 1/2 inch pieces. Heat oil and coconut oil/butter in cast iron skillet until melted. Add garlic and cook, stirring until garlic sizzles. Add greens, red pepper and 1 tea of salt. Using tongs toss greens until wilted. Grate radishes on plate. Add greens and any accumulated liquid and grated radish to grits. Add vegetable stock and black pepper and stir well.
- Spoon mixture into cast iron skillet (do not wipe out). Bake uncovered until set, about 30 minutes.
- 4 T refined coconut oil or butter
- 2 T Lemon juice
- 1 T Tabasco
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Melt coconut oil/butter in a skillet until it foams and browns lightly. Cook until it smells slightly nutty and browned. Stir in lemon juice, tabasco, and salt. Cool until bubbly and spoon over baked casserole.
Many thanks to Keri DeHart for creating and preparing this recipe!