Root Vegetable Paella with Smoked Tomato Saffron Broth and Moroccan Couscous
Yield: 4-6 portions
- As needed Olive Oil
- ½ cup Celery, Diced
- ½ cup Yellow onions, Diced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1 pinch Saffron
- ½ cup Turnips, Peeled, Diced, and Roasted
- ¼ cup Roasted peppers, diced, skins and seeds removed
- ½ cup Red Beets, Roasted, Peeled, and Diced
- ½ cup Spaghetti Squash, Roasted and Shredded
- 1 cup Smoked Tomato Broth
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch, mixed with 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp Sugar
- As needed Salt & Pepper
- 1 recipe Smoked Tomato Moroccan Couscous
- As needed Italian Parsley, torn leaves
1. Sauté celery and onion in olive oil till lightly browned
2. Add tomato paste and cook 2 minutes to further brown.
3. Deglaze with white wine, add saffron, reduce till almost dry.
4. Add vegetables and tomato broth to warm. Add cornstarch slurry to thicken
5. Season to taste
6. Serve over Moroccan Couscous, with herb garnish
Yield: 2 quart
- 1 oz Vegetable oil
- 12 oz Onions, Diced
- 6oz Celery, Diced
- 6 oz Carrots, Diced
- 6 oz Mushrooms
- 6 oz Garlic, whole cloves
- 12 oz Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ea sachet d Epice
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Qts Water
- 6 ea Cold smoked tomatoes, skinned and diced
1. Heat the oil in a large rondeau over med-high heat and add the Mirepoix and vegetables.
2. Cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the water and salt; simmer for 15 minutes, then add the sachet.
4. Strain the stock.
5. Add Smoked tomatoes and let steep 15 minutes. It may be used now (degrease by skimming if necessary), or it may be rapidly cooled and stored for later use.
Note: Roasted Vegetable Stock:
Roast the vegetables in a large pan, turning to make sure all sides are evenly browned. Combine the roasted vegetables with the water and simmer for 45 minutes
Smoked Tomato Couscous
Yield: 6 portions
- 2 CupsSmoked Tomato Broth
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 Cup Moroccan Couscous
- 2 Tbsp Herbs, Fresh, Minced, Assorted (Parsley, Thyme, Oregano etc)
- As Needed Olive Oil
- As Needed Kosher Salt
- As NeededBlack Pepper, Fresh Ground
Heat tomato broth to a simmer, add saffron to boom, let steep for a few minutes. In a bowl pour hot broth over couscous, and tightly cover with plastic wrap. Let sit about 10 minutes or until broth has absorbed into couscous. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Season to taste with fresh herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper.