Believe it or not, Florida does get cold, and when it does we make soup! Here is a fave; vegan dandelion and lentil soup with tomatoes. Warm, delicious, nutritious, and VERY easy to make!
Dandelion greens are slightly bitter so we add sweet diced tomatoes for some balance.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 as main dish
- 3 cups of chopped dandelion leaves and stems
- You can also try making this soup with arugula, spinach, escarole, or mizuna.
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups diced Roma tomatoes (should require 4-5 large or 6-7 medium tomatoes)
- You can use other varieties of tomato but Romas tend to hold their shape and not mush when cooked in soups).
- 1 cup of diced red onion (1 medium to large onion)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash and pat dry fresh dandelion leaves, cut stems into 1 inch long pieces and greens into 1 inch wide pieces; set aside.
- Wash, slice into quarters lengthwise, remove seeds and white internal membrane, cut quarters in half once again, dice; set aside.
- Peel and dice red onion; set aside.
- Peel and mince garlic; set aside.
- Place a medium to large soup pot on a burner set to medium-high heat, wait a couple of minutes for the pot to heat up, add the oil, wait another minute for the oil to heat up, add the onions, cook for one minute, add the garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add the lentils, water, and dried herbs, cook for 15 minutes for lentils that still have some bite, or cook for 20 minutes if you want softer lentils.
- Add tomatoes, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the cut dandelion, cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Your soup is ready!