Classic hummus does not include any greens but the dish so easily lends itself to using greens like the organic Italian kale from our farm. It’s super healthy and super delicious!
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serving: 3-4 cups (will depend on the amount of kale you use)
- 1 large bunch or Italian kale or Tuscan black kale, washed, patted dry, de-ribbed and cut into large pieces.
- 1 15 oz can of organic great white northern beans.
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 2 Tbsp)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash and pat dry kale leaves, remove the thick white ribs, cut the leaves into large pieces; set aside.
- Juice 1 lemon but have another ready in case you want the hummus a little more lemony.
- Drain and rinse the beans; set aside.
- Optional step for the garlic, that is if you want to reduce the sharpness of fresh garlic:
- Heat the garlic in the evoo in a small sauce pot very briefly; set aside or…
- Place the garlic cloves in a small, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for no more than 15 seconds; set aside.
- Blanch the pieces of kale:
- Fill a large soup or stock pot with 1 1/2 gallons of water, add enough salt to make the water no saltier than sea water, bring to a boil (about 2-3 Tbsp).
- Add the kale and cook for no more than 2 minutes.
- Remove the kale and place it in an ice water bath to stop the cooking.
- When cooled, remove the kale from the ice water bath, drain well.
- Place the kale in a food processor, add the beans, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice.
- Process to a smooth consistency.
- Season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste; add more lemon at this point if you desire it.
- Add the cayenne pepper to taste at this point, or garnish the plated hummus with it…or not.
- The hummus is ready to serve!