The best salads are ones that have the freshest ingredients, layers of flavor, a variety of textures, and since we eat with our eyes first, lots of vibrant colors. This salad made with a variety of organic produce from our farm checks every box.
Peppery, sweet, crisp, and herbaceous baby arugula, romaine, red lettuce, red kale and mizuna. Crisp cucumber slices, sweet and colorful Sungold cherry tomatoes that pop when you bite into them, and the star of the salad, the stunning baby watermelon radishes that have been sliced and quick pickled. Combine all of these organic ingredients with a simple yet perfectly balanced sherry vinaigrette; it’s the perfect salad for Thanksgiving dinner.
This is part of “A Florida Family Farm Thanksgiving“, a collaboration of Worden Farm with Tim and Chelsea Clarkson, owners of Grove Ladder Farm, in Sarasota, Florida specializing in pasture-raised, hormone and antibiotic free poultry and eggs, and Ray Toves, a Sarasota-based chef and food photographer, who prepared his original recipes and photographed the food and the event. The series includes photos and recipes of the food and festivities that our two families shared during our early Thanksgiving dinner held on our farm in Punta Gorda, Florida.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus 30 minutes for quick pickled watermelon radishes
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 cup fresh cranberry hibiscus leaves
- 1 cup Sungold cherry tomatoes, whole
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 1 cup quick pickled watermelon radishes (2-3 radishes)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1+1 tbsp sherry vinaigrette
- 1 tsp dark honey
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Quick pickled watermelon radishes:
- Trim the tops off the radishes.
- Wash the radishes under cold running water.
- Cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds, place into non-reactive bowl (plastic, glass, ceramic or stainless steel)
- Add 1 tbsp sherry vinaigrette, a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper, mix well.
- Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Wash and spin dry mixed baby greens and cranberry hibiscus leaves, place in a salad bowl.
- Wash cherry tomatoes, add to salad bowl.
- Wash and slice cucumber, add to salad bowl.
- You do not need to peel organic cucumbers because unlike commercial cucumbers they not covered in paraffin.
- Drain pickling liquid from radishes, add radish slices to salad bowl.
- In a separate, non-reactive bowl, add the evoo, sherry vinegar, honey, shallots, and garlic; whisk well.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add to the salad bowl, mix well.