Pico del gallo is a great condiment. Colorful, fresh and crisp, with bright acidity and just the amount of heat or spiciness that you like.
This recipe uses our organic plum and cherry tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and limes.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Make Time: 5-10 minutes
- 1 lbs mixed plum and cherry tomatoes, washed and halved (plum) or quartered (cherry).
- 1-2 jalapenos diced
- The heat from peppers come from the seeds and the internal white membranes. The more you keep the hotter the pico de gallo.
- For no heat remove all seeds and membranes.
- For the hottest keep all.
- Medium is somewhere in between. (We keep the seeds and membranes of only one half of one jalapeno).
- 1/4 cup red onion small dice
- Juice of 1-2 limes (your preference)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Kosher salt to taste
- Wash and drain the tomatoes, slice the plum tomatoes in half, quarter the larger cherry tomatoes; set aside.
- Peel and small dice 1 small red onion (about 1/4 cup).
- Wash the jalapenos, slice in half, remove the seeds and the white membrane, or not but do not discard, cut into small dice (about the same size as the diced onions); set aside.
- Wash and drain the cilantro leaves and stems, chop; set aside.
- Juice 1 lime but have a second ready just in case you want more lime flavor.
- Add the onions, jalapenos, lime juice, and a pinch of salt into a non-reactive bowl (stainless steel, glass, ceramic, or plastic), let marinade for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Doing this will take the sharpness out of the onions and jalapenos.
- Add the tomatoes and cilantro, mix well.
- Test for seasoning, add more salt or lemon juice.
- You can also adjust the heat at this point. If you want more heat chop up some of the white membrane that you removed earlier and add it to the mixing bowl. Add only a little at a time because once added it’s impossible to take out.
- Your pico de gallo is ready!